YouTube is 10 Years Old!
YouTube was founded ten years ago on Valentine’s Day, February 14, 2005. Since then it regularly ranks in the top two sites visited worldwide (the other one is Face book). A group of former PayPal employees Chad Hurley, Steve Chen, and Jawed Karim founded YouTube as an easy way to find and share videos. Today it’s one of the most visited websites in the world and is widely used by news organizations, politicians and music artists. (Psy’s Gangnam Style has over 2 billion views, making it the most watched YouTube video of all time.)
Me at the zoo: the first video on you tube
“Me at the zoo” is the first video to have been uploaded to YouTube. It was uploaded at 8:27 pm on Saturday, April 23, 2005 by the site’s cofounder Jawed Karim, with the username “jawed”.Described by The Observer as “poor-quality”, the nineteen-second video was shot by Yakov Lapitsky at the San Diego Zoo, featuring Karim in front of the elephants, professing his interest in their “really, really, really long trunks”.
Facts about You tube
- YouTube is the world’s second largest social networking site, behind Facebook
- YouTube has more than 1 billion users
- Every day people watch hundreds of millions of hours on YouTube and generate billions of views
- The number of hour’s people is watching on YouTube each month is up 50% year over year
- 300 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute
- Around 60% of a creator’s views come from outside their home country
- YouTube is localized in 75 countries and available in 61 languages
- Half of YouTube views are now on mobile devices
Overall, the video-sharing firm says that 100 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every minute.
Latest posts by Lovy Mariyam Rajan (see all)
- Google honours Beethoven with an animated doodle - December 17, 2015
- Google’s Gmail adds ‘undo send’ option - June 24, 2015
- Mystery of Swiss cheese holes solved after 100 years - May 31, 2015